Thursday 27 March 2014

My thoughts on MAC Paint Pots

I have to admit that Mac Paint Pots were the first cream eye shadows I have decided to test after a long break of a good 6-7 years after testing and buying cream eye shadows. I will explain myself. The cream eye shadows that were on the market say 10 or 8 years ago were outrageous. They would crease like crazy, they wouldn't stay in place, they would travel all around your eye area and even behind it. I won't name the specific brands, just because these product are not on the market anymore anyway, but seriously, I had a sort of cosmetic trauma after testing these. Other were not any better, I have to admit. I don't know what had changed in these years, but definitely now cosmetic brands know how to make a proper  cream eye shadow and I am happy that more and more brands come out with cream shadows.

In a way, MAC had restored my faith in cream eye shadows. I don't owe many of Paint Pots, really. But I am pleased with the ones I have. Some please me more, some less, but overall, it is a good no-brainer product. They stay put for hours. This is a product you don't have to worry about. Slap it on, finish with a coat or two of mascara and you are good to go. 8 or even 10 hours of wear this will give you. Should you put and eye shadow primer underneath, this combo will last even longer. 

So, the first one I bought was a Bare Study Paint Pot. It is  Permanent collection, thus no rush to buy this one. I bought it when the MAC counter was not readily available in my city, so I had to buy it without a prior testing. It is a light beige-golden color, very pearly. While I like how well it performs and everything. I don't find this shade to be particularly flattering on me. I use it of course, it does double duty going as a highlighter for me was well. Well, the shade is not 100 % mine, but that's mea culpa.

The next one is called Let's Skate! and was a part of a limited edition winter collection. I believe it was re-promoted and now is a part of a permanent range. This one is absolutely stunning! It is a pale powdery pink shade with myriad of pink, golden and pale violet shimmer in it. Love it love it love it. This shade is excellent for a night out all over the lid. You just don't need anything else, really. Just this shade and eyeliner and mascara. It is more suitable for evening time or maybe for summer days. 

The third one came from the same limited edition collection as Let's Skate!. It is called Morning Frost. It is a pale metallic rosy taupe color, amazing for everyday. In fact, I will be hitting pan on it pretty soon! I believe it is just such a universal color, I love it very much. I take it with me when I travel, it is super easy and chic, it brightens your eyes and really just adds a little bit of extra something. I am really willing to find a perfect dupe for this one. No luck as of today.

The forth one, Genuine Treasure, is mainly a miss for me. While it is stunning deep bronze color with amazing shimmer- the texture is an absolute nightmare. Forget about slapping it on in a moment. Just forget it. Not gonna happen. Even if you want to use this color solo ( not recommended), it is going to be difficult to get an even finish. You will have to keep layering on and on, and maybe after 3-4-5 coats of color you will get the desired effect. MAYBE. But probably not. I have used this color in conjunction with dark green shimmery color ( dark green acting as a base), after 10 minutes of work, well, the effect was what I was aiming for. But still, it requires too much work. Not suitable for contact lenses wearers of for sensitive eyes, as it is prone to falling out. Not liking it.

Here are my Paint Pots and swatches, photos taken on a sunny day. No primer underneath, and one coat.





Overall, I like this product.  They did not dry out on me, I store them upside down, they perform well and I always can rely on them. Not you, Genuine Treasure! Will I buy more? Well, at a price tag of 21 € the color has to be truly stunning. I f I could go back, I would not buy the Genuine Treasure and Bare Study ones. Plus, there are many brands that come out with great quality cream eye shadows.Will I recommend this product? Yes, it is a great make up item. I would recommend it, while mentioning that cheaper alternatives are available on the market. And in this case cheaper does not mean worse. There are shadows that perform as well as MAC ones but cost even 4-5 times less. I think, it all got down to colors now, since texture and staying power wise MAC and cheaper brands are not that different. So if the color will be amazing or unique- I will get it for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment